Boil menudo soup for 4-7 hours.
How to cook menudo soup
Pork legs (or beef) – 2.5 kilograms
Beef tripe – 1.5 kilograms
Onions – 2 heads
Garlic – 3 cloves Cilantro
– a bunch
Black pepper – 10 peas
Bay leaf – 2 pieces
Cumin seeds – a teaspoon
Ground caraway seeds – floor teaspoon
Oregano – 3 teaspoons
Dried red pepper – 4 pieces
Dried chili Guaillo – 100 grams
Salt – 2 tablespoons
White vinegar – 4 tablespoons
Corn oil – tablespoon
Homini corn kernels (canned or frozen) – 600 grams
Sugar – 2 tablespoons
Lime – 2 pieces
How to cook menudo
1. Wash pork legs in cool water.
2. Pour 3 liters of water into the pan, put the pork legs, place on a strong fire, cook for 5 minutes after boiling.
3. Drain the water from the pan, wash your feet again in warm water.
4. Peel one head of onion, cut into 4 identical parts.
5. Wash cilantro, separate the leaves from the stems.
6. Pour 3 liters of fresh cold water into a saucepan, put pork legs, chopped onion, garlic clove, cilantro stalks, black pepper, bay leaf, cumin seeds, 2 teaspoons of oregano, whole red pepper, salt, 2 tablespoons of vinegar.
7. Place the pot with pork legs on medium heat, wait until it boils, cook for 3 hours.
8. Wash offal in cool water.
9. Pour 2 liters of water into a separate saucepan, put the offal, place on medium heat, cook for an hour after boiling.
10. Strain the broth.
11. Rub the onion from the broth through a sieve.
12. Cool the pork legs, separate the meat from the bones.
13. Cut the boiled offal into pieces about 1.5 centimeters thick.
14. Peel the Guaillo peppers from the seeds, remove the stalk.
15. Put the pepper on a baking sheet, sprinkle with corn oil, place in a preheated oven, bake for 5 minutes at a temperature of 170 degrees.
16. Transfer the baked peppers to a cup, pour over hot water, cover and leave for 20 minutes.
17. Put the soaked pepper in a blender, add a tablespoon of broth, grind into a paste.
18. Peel two garlic cloves, crush in a garlic press.
19. In the broth, add pork leg meat, pureed onion, tripe, pepper paste, hominy grains, 2 tablespoons of vinegar, sugar, crushed garlic, a teaspoon of oregano, ground cumin.
20. Pour the broth into a saucepan, place on a burner over high heat, wait for it to boil, cook for an hour.
21. Grind cilantro leaves, wash lime and cut into slices, serve separately with soup.
— Menudo is a traditional Mexican dish, it is served in all restaurants in the country. In terms of popularity among Mexicans, this soup is comparable to okroshka in Russia.
— At the beginning of the 20th century, Mexican families prepared menudos for Christmas and birthdays. The whole family took part in the cooking process.
– Menudo is considered a good hangover cure, so it is especially popular on New Year’s morning.
– From Latin, the name of the soup has many translations: common, tripe, offal, small, thin, useless, money exchange.
– Mandatory menudo ingredients: beef offal, beef or pork legs and tendons, chili paste.
— Menudo is usually served with chopped green onions and cilantro, crushed marjoram, lime, and fresh flatbread.
– Hominy is corn kernels, peeled and processed in a dilute solution of alkali.