Boil jasmine rice in salted water for 20 minutes. If you pre-soak rice in water for 2 hours, the cooking time is reduced to 10 minutes. Cook jasmine in a double boiler for 20-25 minutes. In a slow cooker, steam jasmine rice for 40 minutes.
how to cook jasmine rice
You will need – 1.5 cups of water per cup of jasmine rice
How to cook jasmine rice in a saucepan
1. Sort the rice, discard dark rice grains, wash.
2. In a thick-walled cooking container, preferably cast iron, pour water at the rate of 1.5 cups of water per cup of jasmine rice.
3. Jasmine rice put in a container of water, salt to taste, place on a large fire.
4. Wait until it boils, reduce the heat to a quiet one, cook for 20 minutes without stirring, without opening the container, without adding water – you need to keep a maximum of steam in the saucepan.
5. After 20 minutes of cooking rice, remove the saucepan from the burner, open the lid, gently beat the rice with a fork so that it fluffs up, close the lid, set aside for 5 minutes.
How to steam jasmine rice in a saucepan
1. Sort the rice, discard the dark grains of rice, wash.
2. Place the jasmine rice in a wire mesh or muslin bag suitable for the diameter of the rice cooker.
3. Pour a small amount of water into the pan – 300-350 milliliters.
4. Place the saucepan over moderate heat, wait until it boils.
5. Reduce heat to low.
6. Place a metal mesh or muslin bag with rice in a saucepan with a little water, cover with a lid.
7. Keep the pot of rice on the burner for 20-25 minutes until it softens.
How to steam jasmine rice in a
slow cooker 1. Sort the rice, discard the dark rice grains, and wash.
2. Soak jasmine rice in cold water for several hours.
3. Rinse the soaked rice again, put it in a multi-cooker steamer basket, if the holes in it are too large, cover the bottom with foil, make small holes in it with an awl or a needle.
4. Sprinkle salt on top of the rice to taste.
5. Pour water into the steamer basket of the multicooker, based on the calculation of three glasses of water for one – rice.
6. Close the multi-cooker bowl, turn on the “Steam cooking” mode for 40 minutes.
7. After the signal about the end of cooking, do not open the multicooker for another 5 minutes so that the rice sweats.
Jasmine rice is a fragrant long-grain, white Thai rice.
– Jasmine rice grows only in a certain part of Thailand. Now all Thai jasmine rice for export and domestic use is produced by 5 million farmers in the northeast of the country. In the 1990s, the Thai authorities tried to expand the area of cultivation of this variety of rice, but the harvest turned out to be much worse in quality.
Jasmine rice got its name due to its aroma, which resembles the fragrance of a white jasmine flower.
Jasmine rice is the main side dish in Thailand. It is prepared with spicy spices and served with fish, meat, seafood, vegetables or as an independent dish seasoned with oyster or fish sauce. Thais also make sweet desserts with coconut milk and fruits from jasmine rice.
– For cooking jasmine rice, a minimum of water is used, since it should mainly not be boiled, but steamed. Therefore, when cooking jasmine rice in a saucepan, it is important to observe the proportions of water: for one glass of rice – one and a half glasses of liquid. Thai chefs place the washed rice in muslin bags, tie them up and hang them in a steamer. Properly cooked jasmine rice is crumbly, soft and holds its shape well.
– If you pre-soak jasmine rice in cold water for several hours, the cooking time will be reduced for each gadget by 10 minutes.
– The cost of jasmine rice is from 170 rubles / 1 kilogram (on average in Moscow as of June 2017).
– Calorie content of jasmine rice – 338 kcal / 100 grams.
– The shelf life of jasmine rice is 1 year.