Cook Fanescu for 2.5 hours.
How to cook fanesca
Pumpkin – 500 grams
A mixture of dried legumes (beans, lentils, peas) – 200 grams
Onions – 1 head
Garlic – 1 prong
Olive oil – 2 tablespoons
Peanut butter – a tablespoon
Sesame seed paste – a tablespoon
Milk – half a cup
Cumin – 1 teaspoon
Parsley – bunch
How to cook fanesca
1. Grains, if hard or old, soak for 4-5 hours.
2. Pour a mixture of legumes with 3 liters of water, place on a burner over medium heat and wait for it to boil, cook for 1-1.5 hours.
3. Peel the pumpkin from the peel and seeds, cut into squares 3 centimeters thick.
4. In a separate saucepan, boil the pumpkin over medium heat for 20 minutes until softened.
5. Pour water from the pan with pumpkin, rub the pumpkin through a sieve or grind it into a puree in a blender.
6. Peel and chop onion and garlic.
7. Pour olive oil into a saucepan, heat over medium heat, fry chopped onion and garlic for 5 minutes.
8. In a saucepan, put pumpkin puree, a mixture of boiled legumes along with the water in which they were cooked, cumin. 9. Cook fanesca over medium heat for 15 minutes.
10. Dilute the peanut and sesame paste in warm milk, pour the mixture into the fanesca and keep on medium heat for 5 minutes.
10. Wash and chop the parsley, decorate the soup in bowls with it.
Fanesca is a traditional hot soup from Ecuador. Fanesca is traditionally cooked during Holy Week (the last and strictest week of Great Lent before Easter), at other times, fanesca is practically nowhere to be tasted. Fasting is forbidden to eat meat, the body is usually depleted by the 7th week of Lent. Fanesca, containing several types of cereals and nutritious pumpkin at once, is designed to compensate for the lack of nutrients. In Ecuador, fanesca is allowed to be cooked with salted dried cod in milk, since Catholicism is widespread in Ecuador, which prohibits only meat during Holy Week. In Russia, where fasting rules are stricter, fanesca is prepared without fish and sometimes without oil.
— In the traditional fanesque , there are 12 types of cereals, according to the number of the apostles of Jesus Christ.
– Fanescu is usually prepared by the whole family , since there are many products and all of them must be carefully processed before cooking.
– You can decorate the fanesca by sprinkling with crushed roasted pumpkin seeds.
– Fanescu is served with lean pancakes, fried bananas, fresh herbs, fresh black bread, sliced avocados. In Ecuador, it is allowed to crumble boiled eggs into soup .
– A real fanesca is a very thick soup of such proportions : a third of the broth in the soup, and sometimes a quarter.