How to cook chowder
– 2.5 kilograms (25 pieces of clams)
Potatoes – 4 pieces of medium size
Onion – 2 heads (medium size)
Flour – 2 tablespoons
Cream – 1 cup
Butter – 3 tablespoons
Celery – 0.5 petiole
Bay leaf – 2 pieces
Thyme (dried) – 1.2 teaspoons
Parsley (dried) – 1.2 teaspoons
Salt, pepper – to taste
1. Rinse 2.5 kilograms of clams with cold water and soak. It is necessary to pour the clays into the pan, pour in water until they disappear, add 1 tablespoon of salt and put in a cool place for 12 hours. If the klams are not soaked, then there will be a lot of sand in the soup.
2. Peel 1 small onion, cut in half.
3. Rinse, dry and cut the celery into 2 parts.
4. After 12 hours, you need to remove the clams from salted water, put them in another pan and pour in water so that the seafood disappears.
5. Add half a small onion and 0.5 stalk of celery. Pour 1.4 teaspoons of dried thyme, 1 bay leaf. Close the pan with a lid, put on high heat, bring to a boil and cook for 15 minutes, until they open.
6. 1 large onion, peeled and cut into cubes.
7. Rinse 4 potato tubers with water, dry, peel with a vegetable cutter and cut into cubes.
8. Boiled klams need to be filtered 2 times. You can use a sieve and gauze in two layers.
9. Set the strained broth aside.
10. Remove the clam meat from the opened shells. To do this, you need to take their meat with your fingers and pull it up, separating it from the shell. Then rinse them with water, dry with a napkin and finely chop with a knife.
How to Cook Chowder in a
Pot 1. Put 3 tablespoons of butter in a medium saucepan, place over low heat and melt it.
2. Pour the chopped onion, the remaining thyme and 1 bay leaf into the container. Saute the onion for 3 minutes until it becomes translucent.
3. Pour 2 tablespoons of flour into the pan, mix well, cook for another 30 seconds.
4. Pour 3 cups of strained broth into a container, add potatoes and cook for 12 minutes.
5. Pour chopped clams, 1.2 teaspoons of dried parsley and 1 cup of cream into the broth, mix everything well.
6. Without bringing to a boil, set aside the pot of soup and let it warm up for 5 minutes.
How to cook chowder in a multicooker
1. Pour oil into the multicooker bowl, add onion. Set the container and select the “Baking” mode, cook for 5 minutes.
2. Add flour to the onion, mix, pour in 3 cups of broth, potatoes, 1 bay leaf, thyme. Select the “Soup” mode and cook for 10 minutes.
3. Open the slow cooker, add the clams, parsley, cream and close. Set the multicooker to the “Keep warm” mode and set the timer for 5 minutes.
Your chowder is ready!
Chowder is a soup, a thick stew that came from New England. The obligatory ingredient is the meat of bivalve clams and cream. In the US, this is a traditional dish, as clam shells are not uncommon there.
There is no classic recipe for chowder soup. Each state prepares chowder soup according to a different recipe with the addition of different ingredients. In New Mexico they add chili peppers, tomatoes, in San Francisco they use fish broth, in Virginia they include corn in cooking.
– In the US, it is customary to add clam clam to chowder soup. In Russia, such seafood is not available for sale. But they can be replaced with mussels or a sea cocktail.
– Clams must be thoroughly cleaned before using them. If the shell is hard, rinse thoroughly with cold water. If the mollusk has a soft shell, then you need to soak them in salted water for 12 hours, and then rinse well with water. Thus, the sand will be washed away.
– Serve chowder soup with slices of freshly baked bread or crackers. Sprinkle the chowder with fresh herbs before serving.