Cook classic botvinia for 40 minutes.
How to cook botvinia
Kvass bread – 1 liter
Kvass okroshochny – 250 milliliters
Red fish (salmon, trout, salmon, sturgeon) – 500 grams
Young beets with tops – 3 pieces
Fresh cucumbers – 1 piece
Sorrel – 1.5-2 cups
Nettle leaves – 1 cup
Lemon – half
Horseradish – 1.5 tablespoons
Mustard – 1 teaspoon
Dill, green onion – to taste
Salt, sugar – to taste
How to cook botvinia
1. Thoroughly wash 3 beetroots under running water.
2. Divide the beets into root and tops.
3. Cook beets (40-50 minutes) and tops (15 minutes) in different containers.
4. Wash 1.5-2 cups of sorrel and chop it.
5. Boil the sorrel in boiling water for no more than 3 minutes.
6. Wash nettles and scald with boiling water and chop.
7. Cut the beets into cubes and combine with nettles and sorrel.
8. Wash the cucumber and cut it into small cubes.
9. Wash the lemon, divide it into two parts and remove the zest from 1/2 lemon.
10. Combine lemon zest with 1 teaspoon of mustard, 1.5 tablespoons of horseradish, salt and sugar.
11. Pour 250 milliliters of okroshka kvass and 1 liter of bread kvass into the pan.
12. Add a mixture of lemon and spices to kvass, as well as chopped cucumber and greens with beets.
13. Put the botvinia in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes.
14. Cut 500 grams of fish into medium pieces.
15. Dip the fish in salted boiling water and boil for 10 minutes (if the fish is raw).
16. Add dill and onion to the fish.
17. Serve botvinya to the table in three plates: in the first pieces of fish, in the second – soup, in the third – crushed ice.
– The recipe for botvinya comes to our days from the 19th century, when this soup was often cooked and was the most common summer soup in all segments of the population.
— There are many variations of serving botvinia, but a real botvinia consists of three courses: the first course with finely crushed ice, the second with fish, and the third with botvinia directly.
– Botvinha can be cooked without expensive fish, then it will be considered one of the varieties of cold summer soups.
– When preparing botvinia, sorrel is an indispensable product, which gives the soup sourness.
– For making botvinya, it is better to buy dark bread kvass, as it has a richer taste.
– Those who find it difficult to cook classic botvinia can cook its simplified version, but it must be remembered that kvass, nettle, sorrel, spinach, sugar, salt, chopped herbs and cucumber are its must-have products.