Prepare a barley drink for 1-1.5 hours, depending on which cereal is used – raw barley or pearl barley.
How to make a drink from barley
– 1 cup
Water – 7 cups
Grated lemon zest – from 1 lemon
Sugar – 1/4 cup
Freshly squeezed lemon juice – from 2 lemons
How to brew a barley drink
1. Pour the barley into a fine sieve and rinse, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes.
2. Pour the grits into a saucepan with 7 cups of water.
3. At maximum heat, bring to a boil.
4. Reduce the heat and cook for 30 minutes under an open lid, removing the foam with a slotted spoon.
5. Remove the pan from the stove, add the lemon zest with sugar and mix thoroughly.
6. Leave the drink to cool for 10 minutes, then add your own squeezed lemon juice.
How to brew barley drink (skin)
Barley – 1 cup
Ayran – 1 liter
Raisins – 50 grams
Dried apricots – 50 grams
Water – 2 liters
Sugar – 1 tablespoon
Salt – 1 teaspoon
steps 1. Rinse the cereal 7 times and pour 2 liters of cold water. 2. Cook for 50 minutes under a closed lid over low heat, removing the foam with a tablespoon or slotted spoon.
3. after 50 minutes of cooking, add raisins with dried apricots and sugar with salt.
3. Cool the resulting broth to room temperature, strain.
4. Next, fill with ayran and leave in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
5. Serve on the table, after shaking dynamically.
– Barley drink is a summer drink, it is great to quench your thirst in the heat: even a small glass of barley drink will quench your thirst better than a few glasses of water.
– For a barley drink, it is better to use brown cane sugar, then the taste will be honey-sweet.
– Ayran in a barley drink should taste sour. If the purchased ayran is fresh, put it in a warm place for a couple of hours to form bubbles. Instead of ayran, it is allowed to use kefir.
— In Kazakh cuisine, the drink is called kozhe.